Monday, December 5, 2011

PLN - Prison Legal News

Or Personal Learning Network. Either way information and knowledge is the power to get you through and beyond.

I have been developing my personal learning network since I began my current job. There are several technologies that we discussed in this class that I use as well as some others.
  • Facebook - A majority of my Facebook friends are librarians. I do this as a way to keep track of people across the country, but as librarians they are always posting stories and articles that I find interesting. I also follow several library pages such as Banned Books Week, Association of College & Research Libraries, Librarian Bat Signal, etc. These are ways to get quick updates on events in my field.
  • Blogs - I follow several professional blogs with my Google Reader. These are related to library issues as well as issues within higher education as a whole. It is great to see what is going on in the world.
  • Wikis - I am a member of a wiki of instruction librarians throughout South Dakota who use it as a place to share information related to Information Literacy.
  • Educational network - As a member of the Blended Librarian learning community from Learning Times, I have access to free webinars on a variety of topics related to librarianship. It is a great way to keep updated on trends and programs in libraries.
  • Webinars - I also attend webinars held by several associations. These professional and ad hoc associations are one of my primary learning networks as they offer content that is 'very' useful as I do my work as a librarian.
This network continues to change and shift and grow which is important as otherwise it would stagnant and I would not be able to develop professionally.

3 comments:

  1. Webinars are a great way to stay updated on current practices. A lot of webinars are free or low cost which is nice since so many district budgets cut professional development money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think of including webinars in my list of PLNs. I too attend these when available. They are a great way to receive training and interact with other professions without the cost and hassle of traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a great social network within your job, I'm sure that it is very beneficial at times.

    ReplyDelete